29th July (Skye)
Morag and Munro bid us farewell for the day as we left for our day trip. Morag kept wanting to pack us sandwiches but we insisted we were alright. In the end, she passed us diet coke and water for the day. While we were gone, Morag said she would be going into town for the Viking Gala. When we returned, she said the Gala was disappointing as it was pouring.

We drove around in Skye today. From Conon Bridge, we took A862 - A833 - A831 to Drumnadrochit. We then took A82 to Invergarry, A87 to Eilean Donan Castle, A87 to Kyle of Cochalsch. In Skye, we drove to Kyleakin, Broadford for lunch, Portree, Uig and Dunvegan (A87, A855, A87, A850, A863, A87). Leaving Skye, we took A890 - A832 - A835 - A862 to Conon Bridge. The weather turned dreadful for most part, rain rain and rain. It was pissing down with rain so badly that at times, visibility was bad. It was also not exactly easy driving with many single passing lanes, blind summits and windy roads. Saw lots of thatched roofs cottages.
Morag asked where we were heading to when we go back to Sydney. Ross revealed that he owns a place where we intend to stay. Morag exclaimed that that was good news as she thought the new bride would be homeless when she goes to Sydney.
She turned to Munro and said excitedly "I didn't know that, did you Munro?" quite a few times.
Finally Munro said with a wink "Go ahead, ask him how much."
It was all very amusing.
In conversations, Morag liked to say describe Scottish was canny. I didn't know what she meant as it sounded completely different from how I know it. Anyway I asked and got it figured out later. Canny, spelt Kanny in the olden days originated from Scotland.
Morag sprung a surprise for dessert. I had brought in her nectarine when we came on the first day. She used the nectarine to make a dessert! So creative. I didn't expect her to. In fact I was eyeing at the lemon cake she had made and put aside. That left me a craving for lemon cake for the rest of the trip.
After dinner, we went for a walk in town. We walked past the town to the river. We walked passed the local pub called "The duck". That was when Ross discovered he didn't have his ring with him. He panicked and then remembered he left it next to the bathroom sink. Upon return to the house, we went into our rooms to place our coats. We saw the ring on the table, on a ring-holder. We were pretty much relieved and guess that either Munro or Morag must have left the ring there. When Ross left the room, Morag called out for me and came in. She conspiringly asked whether I had my ring on, which I had, in a very much hush-hush manner. She thought the ring that they found was mine. I explained that it was Ross's ring. I was touched that she thought I was in trouble for mis-placing the ring. She even kissed me after she realised that I wasn't the one in trouble.
When we sat in the living area before bed, Morag asked where we had walked to. We told her about The duck and the hotel that we passed by, she told us that it was formerly called The Droughty Duck, meaning drinking cronnies. Droughty is a scottish word that wouldn't be found in a Colin's dictionary. The locals felt it wasn't a very good name and therefore it was renamed.
Munro was keen to educate me on Robert Burns. He writes Scottish poems. Munro can recite some of his poems by heart. I tried to read the book but it was completely Greek to me, like the Shakespeare language. Ross recalled that Munro showed him the exact same book when he was here the first time. It shows how keen Munro is on the book.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home