Thursday, July 27, 2006

27th July (Munro and Morag)

From Dunkeld, we took A9 and then A827 to Loch Tay (to killin).

Drove to Killicrankie Walk. Started to pour hard when we were 1/4 into the route. We walked all the way back to the town Piltcholery. By that time, my totally drenched clothes were semi-dry and we stayed in town for lunch before grabbing a cab back to the Killicrankie Visitor's centre where the car was parked.

From there we went on A827 - A9 to Pitlochfy. We then got on the A9 to Aviemore - A835 to Conon Bridge.

Drove 179 miles to Munro and Morag's place. Brought along a good Scottish whisky we bought at Tescos. We knew Munro prefered a certain type of scotch but wasn't exactly sure which type.

We reached Munro's and Morag's place without any hassle as we had previously been given very good directions over the phone from Munro. It was extremely near to the Conon-Bridge. We reached their place at 6ish or 7ish. As we turned into their gate, Morag came out of the door to greet us, as if she had been waiting for the whole day.

Their house was nice and spacious and so peaceful with a beautiful garden. The flowers looked so beautiful with their vibrant colours. We were given a very warm welcome and Morag held my hand tight as she guided me into their house. They were full as curiosity about Ross and myself as we got seated down. Ross had mentioned that they'll probably be surprised to know that my english is as fluent as it is since I'm from Singapore.

They were such a lovely couple and made their best to make us feel right at home. We were fed non-stop, chips, nuts, shortbread and drinks. They opened a champagne in our honor and did a toast.

Ross had previously told me that Morag was 80 this year and Munro was 2 years younger. I had never expected them to be so energetic, sharp and quick. They simply don't act their age and it's great to meet people like that. I only wish my parents can meet them too and learn that there is more to life after retirement. Comparatively, the quality of aged life in Singapore seems so dreary. Munro previously worked for the government and was number 2 in the Ross-shire county. Morag was a nurse. Ross also thought that I would have problems understanding Morag's accent. At first meeting, they kept asking whether I understood them, but I reassured them. Morag's accent was no problem at all, while Munro's was very clear. It was only when he says certain scottish names that you could tell his accent. It wasn't difficult at all understanding them. I remember at Lockerbie, I couldn't understand a single word of the Costa Coffee guy who had an extremely strong Scottish accent. Luckily, it was Ross who conversed with him.

Munro and Morag made us feel right at home. Our bedroom was spacious, beautiful and the bathroom was luxurious and even carpeted. I guess Scotland is built very much to keep the heat in since it's cold most of the time through the year. There was even a wooden toilet seat which I wondered whether they kept warm easier too. I later learnt that it was just old fashioned. The toilets we had later on through Scotland were all carpeted too. I learnt that Munro was the one who fixed up the walls and I was impressed as they looked like they were professionally done. They left some small nice touches in the room, a card, fresh plants and even a stalk of rose.

Dinner was sounded with a tiny hand bell. Morag explained that when she was growing up, they had a gong, which I thought was very Chinese. White French wine was served. I tried to refuse but was strongly persuaded by Munro and Ross to have some, since I was surprisingly not red yet with the champagne. The dinner was started by salmon and salad. Even though Ross didn't like salmon or fish with bones all that much, he finished it all up. Morag explained that the placemats used during dinner was very precious as they had been given by Val in her previous visit. The main dish was smoked mackerel, I was surprised that it was cold. But it was all very good and healthy. Morag sprang a surprise for us with a pavlova with raspberries bought from a local store. She explained that she was initially keen to make us one but Munro forbade any baking in the kitchen since it was too warm. I have never tried pavlova before and realised I really like it. It was well done and felt very light. After which, chocolates were dished out, by that time, I could eat no more. But as usual, Ross had space for just a few more.

Morag and Munro had lots of stories to tell during dinner. About the story of Uncle John and Blanch ( I realised there were rich relatives) though Blanch, a rich widow had remarked bluntly that no money will go to the Campbells. We got to know Munro's and Morag's family a whole lot better too. James and Janette. Janette is twice married. First marriage was to a Norwegian that broke down after 8 years. She's happy remarried now. Janetter's rised to being a matron in her hospital, got ME and currently doing her PHD. She counsels jail convicts regularly. James is an accountant by profession as well as his wife. They have 2 teenage sons waiting to go into Uni. Cameron is going to do physical training in Uni (he is looking forward to it being an easy course to do) while Frasier is really smart and waiting to learn whether his results are good enough to get into uni even though he's not of age yet. Both are musically inclined and play in a band (heavy metal). Morag was wearing a band around her right wrist which she explained she was suffering from Osteoporosis and had extremely low bone density. We got to learn later that she was allergic to the medication and instead drinks milk regularly.

We shared with them our plans to travel for the next 6 months. Morag commented "Quite right, no pockets in the shroud." Everyone laughed.

I was assigned the task of wiping the placemats clean after dinner which was no trouble at all. Ross also helped out to clear the dishes. They have been such great hosts and we didn't want to take them for granted.

Went for a walk around the train treks and then into town. When we came back, Munro and Morag were still up, so we had a good talk.

I was so tired when we finally hit the bed. It must also be the effect of alcohol.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home